All organisations hold meetings and most meetings have minutes. They are used to communicate the points that are discussed in meetings to those that attended and also to re-confirm actions that were agreed during the meeting.
Minutes can also be used to communicate the points raised in the meeting to people who didn’t attend but need to know what went on.
It’s important that minutes are captured effectively and clearly and can be reproduced to communicate this important information to those that need it.
This Minute Writing course looks at the skills and knowledge required to capture and write up effective minutes.
Training Course Objectives
By the end of the session, attendees will:
- Know the purpose of meeting minutes and their importance
- Be able to prepare yourself and the tools you need to take minutes
- Know the rules surrounding grammar and language for meeting minutes
- Understand the roles in a meeting
- Know about good and bad minute taking practices
- What should minutes include and not include
- Have a range of tools to effectively capture meeting minutes
- Have the skills to listen effectively
- Have practiced a number of minute taking scenarios
Training Course Content
- What are meeting minutes
- Minute takers role and responsibilities
- Preparing to take minutes of a meeting
- Taking meeting minutes
- Writing up the minutes
- Skills practice
Who Should Attend This Course?
Those who are responsible for taking and writing up meeting minutes.
What are Minutes?
- What are minutes?
- What goes into meeting minutes?
- What do good meeting minutes do?
- What are the responsibilities of the minute taker?
- Typical cycle of a meeting and minutes
Preparing for a Meeting
- What to prepare before attending a meeting?
- Roberts rules of order
- What to do at the start, during and at the end of the meeting?
- Tips for good meeting minutes
- Shortening techniques (truncating words and using symbols and abbreviations)
- Using a minute taking template
- Listening effectively
- Structuring minutes
Writing Up Minutes
- Translating your notes
- Laying out your structure
- Writing your minutes
- Practicing writing minutes using videos to observe meetings
Our Minute Taking Training course is currently only available as an in-house course. See the in-house tab for more information.
We can deliver our Minute Taking course in-house to a group of up to 12 people in your organisation.
We can tweak the course content to align it closer to your business needs. The course will be delivered by one of our professional hand picked trainers who will provide the skills and knowledge and allow plenty of time to practice the skills. They will also ensure that everyone leaves with an action plan that details what they will do next.
To find out more about having a Minute Taking training course delivered in-house at your business, fill in the form below and we’ll get back to you. Be sure to tell us what course you are looking for and in what location. Alternatively you can call us on 015549779.